Friday, June 6, 2008

Dead Week

It truly was one of those slow motion observations during 1st period. I watched Carlie's hands miss her Nalgene bottle and the water cover her, her chem book, and her desk. Immediately, I moved into fix-it mode - towel, paper towel - which is better for the textbook? I hurried from my desk towards the double-door cabinets....
....and then after a couple steps noticed my bare feet on carpet. Then slowly, I realized I was standing a few steps out of bed clad in my pajamas. There was no need for a towel, just an excessive need for more sleep. The joys of vivid teaching dreams (or nightmares) during particularly stressful times of the school year. So no, Carlie did not spill her water this past week, but this spring's dead week has been an adventure. I should have more report, but I am basically just glad to have survived. On Monday, after being buried by papers, anxiety (mine, my students', my coworkers',etc), and a few other choice things, I did not think I would. Now on Friday after having officially left school at eight pm, I am inwardly dancing (and admittedly outwardly if you peek in the window on my classroom door) at the thought that this time next week, I'll be free!
I should note before I venture into a dreamless sleep [here's hoping, right?!], that I could not have done this week without Tracy. Every day this week, she did something above and beyond the call of duty. From listening to exhausted rants to showing up at school with ice cream to helping set up the enrichment I hardly had time to stop for, this girl did it all. Everyone should be so blessed to have a friend like her.
So now, it's off to bed. My Saturday morning has me back at my desk in E4, red pen in hand whether I'm fully awake or not. For my students' grades' sakes, I really should have at least one eye open. Good night!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Screw teaching and become a professional writer. I hope your enrichment... cheese night... went great, I'm sure it was spectacular! You are a special kind of amazing and in one week you will be a special kind of amazing who is free! I am taking to you HTB to celebrate. And you can outwardly dance on the way there if you want to!

Trace said...

well my lovely girlie girl- i'm the one that never comments but always has something to say :P
hehehe...that's me!
well just think...4days of kids and you're DONE!!! woo hoo baby woo hoo! we got this-- oh we got this!

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

not rick, but ness!
we are soooooo close. just 4 days just 4 days. and then the lovely summer begins with........
sleeping in
staying up late
hanging with friends and fam
GG/movies
reading
swimming
hawaii
tahoe
and doing whatever we WANT to do!

Melanie said...

Did your dream somehow remind you of your last semester of school and the dream that you forgot to take a final. I still have the dream that it is my last semester, last day of finals, and I realize that I forgot to go to a class all semester that I need to graduate and the whole grade is based on the final! Here's to not having the panic dreams anymore!

Kaylinn said...

This is why I decided against English. I'm much happier in my World History world where finals include scantrons and food filled parties. I feel your pain-hope your last week was enjoyable and your hitting that submit button before much longer! Here comes summer! :)