Sunday, July 6, 2008

Snapshots

My mind is all over the place, and to save you a schizophrenic experience, I probably should write later. However, I keep putting it off so here are a few snapshots of my disjointed mind...


*I have been reminded recently of how many fabulous girls I had the chance to live with in Provo. In my years living in Happy Valley, I lived with over twenty girls from all over the country - girls that each had such distinct personalities and strengths. They changed my life. If I get too specific, I'll never be able to stop, but one memory that keeps coming back is one Sunday afternoon back in the fall of 2002. I was having an inner meltdown over picking a major, communicating with the adults in my life, crushing on a Cuban, etc, etc and these girls wouldn't leave me alone--sound negative, but the internal monologues I have with myself get intense and these friends wouldn't let me go cry alone. They surrounded me when I was at my lowest and stayed there until I was laughing over "Three Amigos," the idea that we could abandon school and get jobs at Sundance, and Treasure Barfus. Were the issues of that day solved? Of course not, but as Spencer W. Kimball said, God answers our prayers usually through the hands and words of the people in my life. Anna Jane, Mel, Carli, and Maggie B. were the answer to my prayers that day and so many other prayers in the days, weeks, and years that followed.


*I love books - sounds like I'm started over last week's blog, but this past week I read "The History of Love" (per Becca's recommendation - phenomenal book!), "Twisted" (young adult fiction - not as good as Halse's previous work "Speak), "A Million Little Pieces" (harrowing tale of a recovering drug addict- painful to read), and "The Holy Temple" (divinely inspired work - motivated me to attend the temple more often and to get back into family history). I won't go into more detail, but I am grateful to have extra hours to read.


*I went to Tahoe for the 4th of July weekend. While we were coming home from a game of mini-golf (have I ever mentioned how bad my hand-eye coordination is?!), there was serious traffic because of a car accident. Cars for a solid couple miles were turned off since they had been sitting so long--the joys of one two-lane road that surrounds the lake. So, what did the Hutchins children do? We decided to start walking. We chatted with people along the way, saw a Nevada state senator, looked into people's backyards, and had a really good time marching along single file. We probably covered about a mile and a a half before the cars started moving again. We were dusty, sun-burned (yes, I burn in less than an hour), and blistered (cheap flip-flops are not good cross-trainers), but we (Ryan, Cameron, Jenessa, & myself) had a great time on our random adventure.

Dare I post such disjointed writing? I think I do-summer is just going to take coherence from me as I mellow out so much I won't know what day it is. Love you all. Hope your summer whether you work, go to school, or chase little people around all day is going well.

9 comments:

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

NESS

Okay first off-crushing on a cuban?
second-we're cool for walking next to everybody in cars
third-what does schkec.... mean in the first sentence?
xoxox
i love your cluttered thoughts!

Lauren said...

I too want to hear about the Cuban!

Melanie said...

Oh the Cuban! I love that picture of us. Good times!

Trace said...

I heart Jac-Attack!

christina clark said...

man, random thoughts by jaclyn, really, can one ask for more in life? i love hearing you write, but it makes me miss you. i'm glad you have a blog.

The Jackson Family said...

Hi Jacklyn! Its Jessica and i have to say that i love reading your blog! You really need to become an author because you are hilarious and wonderful! Anyhow have a fabulous day and tell everyone "hi" form us:)

Anna White said...

Wow. Treasure Barfus. My goodness...I love walks down memory lane. You are so fantastic!

forget laundry said...

I am embarrassed I haven't commented... (!!)- so, I am so thankful I was one of those 20+ girls. what bliss. you are so stinkin easy to get along with. I am sure I would have driven anyone else crazy! happy weekend. ps I loved your walk next to waiting cars- it is so like you to enjoy the moment.

Anonymous said...

OOOhhh! I miss you! I totally second Hillary´s statement- I´m so lucky I got to live with you, probably the best roommate on the planet. Who else could make me laugh while climbing out of bed at 5am??? Glad you´re enjoying your summer! Loves!