Monday, September 20, 2010

Semi-apolitical

Some of my friends write fantastically brilliant political blog posts (how many adjectives can I stick in one sentence?!). They write about major news events, politicians' latest whims, and issues that seem to affect every aspect of our day-to-day lives. I love these blog posts because I too am passionate about trying to make sense of the never-ending political conundrums that play out over the evening news. BUT I am also an evolving human being whose views are less than conventional in the circles I run in. I am more conservative than some, more liberal than others. And to be honest, I just don't want to engage in political debates in a medium where there is a time delay and a complete lack of human contact. I don't want you to question my personal views without seeing who I am and who I am becoming. If you want to talk, let's do it in person. Why bring this up? Because I never want people to think I don't care. Yes, I love trivial things like Harry Potter, Glee, and Matt Damon's impression of Matthew McConaughey. Yes, I'd rather talk about fall colors and my niece's latest antics than how much I detest the Tea Party movement. But I am studying each day to be more aware, to be a better caretaker of the world around me, and to be someone who can make a lasting contribution no matter what line of work I end up in. Though this may not be the forum, I am slowly figuring things out so that someday, when you and I sit down, I'll be able to explain why I am still a "Decline to State" voter and why there is nothing on God's green earth that will ever make me vote for Sarah Palin.

Okay, so maybe I'm not completely apolitical but who really is, right?!

No comments: