Wednesday, June 27, 2018

I'll Be Your Blue Sky

I'll Be Your Blue SkyI'll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa de los Santos
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It was such a pleasant surprise to find out that Marisa de los Santos was revisiting some of the characters that readers couldn't help but fall in love with in "Love Walked In" and "Belong to Me". Because so much time has theoretically elapsed between the books' respective timeline, I think anyone could pick up "I'll Be Your Blue Sky" and be just fine following what is happening. I half wished I had used the book coming out as an excuse to fall in love all over again with "Love Walked In", which is still one of my very favorite books.

Marisa de los Santos is an effusive writer - she loves adjectives, setting descriptions, and homages to the book and movie characters that made many of us love story telling in the first place. That said, her writing is like sitting in the sun on a perfect summer day with a drink in hand and the sound of a refreshing breeze in the trees. You can't help but give in. At least one of her main characters tends to be melodramatic, but many of the greats, like Anne Shirley, were too.

Explaining the plot of "I'll Be Your Blue Sky" would only take away from the reading experience and make it sound overly trite or formulaic. It is hardly that. The only thing I will say is that yet again, de los Santos explains love as I think it feels. I love that about her writing....and perhaps that's why I've already started another one of her books.

Happy reading and happy summer--

No comments: