Friday, July 16, 2021

The Night Portrait

The Night Portrait: A Novel of World War II and da Vinci's ItalyThe Night Portrait: A Novel of World War II and da Vinci's Italy by Laura Morelli
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Oh man - I should have stopped this book partway through. The premise of The Night Portrait is a good one. I love stories of art and history being woven together, and I like the artwork this book is centered around (Leonardo da Vinci's The Lady with an Ermine), but this book just wasn't for me. The writing was choppy and often cliche. Even harder for me were a couple of the audiobook readers - they just were not good. I had picked up this book because two of my favorite historical fiction writers endorsed it. Apparently, that was not enough. Oh well. On to the next.

Happy reading--

ps. I think had I read a physical book, rather that the audiobook, that this probably would have been a three star for me. However, I still would only recommend it if you love WWII fiction and are a high volume reader. Otherwise, there are better books out there.

No comments: