Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Malibu Rising

Malibu RisingMalibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Malibu Rising is the book of the summer - the setting is perfect for a beach read and the drama will keep you captivated the whole way through (even though Reid gives away the ending in the opening pages of the book).

One of my favorite things about Reid's writing is ability to create vivid characters, and I really liked the Riva siblings. I liked the image of them sitting in the ocean together waiting to catch the perfect wave. I liked that all of their personalities were evident in their approach to surfing, and that though just a background detail, everything you needed to know about each person was captured on that beach.

I only wish I had read Malibu Rising on my favorite pier in Malibu or on my favorite spot of sand in Santa Monica. I can almost hear the waves crashing right now and feel that delightful warmth and stretch of skin on my cheeks as they get kissed from the sun.

Happy reading and happy summer--

ps. 4.5 stars - just shy of five for me, but it may get bumped up in a reread someday.

No comments: