Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Educated

Educated: A MemoirEducated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In high school, a boy at church told me my place was in the kitchen. During my undergrad, a professor jokingly bragged that he had come home to find his wife “barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen” and what a success that was. In graduate school, I was told I was taking the place of a “bread winner” by being there as a female student. I was also told by a guy in my program that I wasn’t marriage material because clearly my focus wasn’t on having a family if I had chosen continue higher education.

Enter Tara Westover’s “Educated”. My life experiences look nothing like hers. Her story of growing up in rural Idaho with a father who feared the government and didn’t allow his children to get birth certificates or attend school is the kind of reality you struggle to believe is true. Add in the abuse and distorted religious views, and it’s a wonder she made it out, let alone earned a PhD from one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

Here’s the thing though – while I was astounded by her story and her telling of it, I couldn’t get out of my own head as she made her way to BYU and on to Cambridge. I was trying to understand her experience while trying to process my own personal details in a new light. And so, I think I wanted more resolution from Tara. Perhaps I wanted more “so what” – what she’s learned, how she’s living now that she’s had time to process where she came from and what she’s accomplished. Maybe I’m already anticipating “Educated: Volume 2”.

Empirically, I know I don’t need an author or anyone to define their experiences, so that I can define mine. But I really enjoyed the chance to hear such an authentic and candid thoughts that give voice to issues like education and the role of women in society. I’m hoping Tara becomes more present as a speaker and a writer, and I’m really hoping people I know read this book soon because I’m dying to talk about it.

Happy reading--

No comments: