Monday, April 9, 2018

Not My Father's Son

Not My Father's SonNot My Father's Son by Alan Cumming
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Cumming is not an actor whose life or career I've followed closely, but the audiobook came so highly recommended that I picked it up during one of Audible's sales. Cumming is a great storyteller, and his book has an actual narrative arc (something that can't be said for most celebrity memoirs). His reading is excellent (the Scottish accent doesn't hurt at all), and his message profound. I would highly recommend it with the caveat that Cumming details some very intense physical abuse that he experienced at the hand of his father (hence the title). It was disturbing to me, and I have no memories that would remotely relate. That said, nothing shared is superfluous or over-dramatic. It's candid and honest and a strong reminder of why I loved him Eli Gold in "The Good Wife".

Happy reading!

No comments: