Thursday, January 31, 2019

Becoming

BecomingBecoming by Michelle Obama
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dear Michelle-

Growing up, I never really liked my middle name. People told me I spelled it incorrectly. My mom had wanted it to look French, hence the one L. I don't think much about my middle name as an adult, but I am strangely proud to share a name with you, even if it is spelled differently.

You are a remarkable woman. This is not because you lived through remarkable circumstances, but rather because how hard you have worked to get where you are. Even if you had not been the First Lady, you would have had an indelible impact on those with whom you came in contact. I am so impressed by your tenacity, by your father's perseverance, by your mother's steadiness, and by your husband's optimism. My friends and I discussed how we could parent like your parents did. I want to embody your grace under pressure and firm resolve to make the world better despite difficult odds.

I appreciate you sharing so much of who you are. I loved learning about your relationship with Barack and how fiercely you love and support your girls. You're exactly what a role model ought to be - genuine, diligent, and constantly working to become even better than you already are.

Love,
Jaclyn Michele

{Why a four star instead of a five? While I loved getting lost in Michelle's life and was so inspired by her message of becoming, there were portions that dragged a little. I think they could have condensed a few details. Still a very, very good book. Happy reading and happy becoming--}

(Book 6 - 2019)

No comments: