Sunday, October 11, 2020

The Glass Hotel

The Glass HotelThe Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't think I've ever read writing like Emily St. John Mandel's. There's nothing like it. To reduce this book to its major plotlines wouldn't begin to describe it because Mandel operates differently. She manages to intersect characters in a way that it is not immediately apparent and plays with time and reality, so that even if you've guessed the twists, you're still caught off guard. Her books are some of my favorite finds this year.

One quick disclaimer - this book is heavy, and in a year that already feels like it has a decade's worth of tragedy, this may not be for everyone. Also, it's probably more of a 4.5, but like a dewy-eyed groupie, I would follow Mandel anywhere....which is to say that I will work my way through her entire backlist after reading Station Eleven and this book.

Happy reading--

View all my reviews

No comments: