Monday, October 19, 2020

The Midnight Library

The Midnight LibraryThe Midnight Library by Matt Haig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't know this book was going to be so popular when I added it to my library queue. I simply liked the title, that people compared it to "Sliding Doors", and that Carey Mulligan was narrating. The actual book is much more than that. Haig takes on mental health and suicide along with the ever-captivating idea of dual realities. Just like female spies have been a large part of recent fiction, multiple realities or universes have been playing through so many titles this past year. The Midnight Library is darker than other books that deal with the same topic - even The Two Lives of Lydia Bird which carries a heavy note of grief - but it's well written and held my interest the whole time. I couldn't help but think of the Ready Player One library while envisioning Nora's library. Full disclosure that either Haig's tone and/or Mulligan's reading style makes the experience a bit understated, but that felt so classically British that I was happy to go along for the ride. Now I just need to go watch Sliding Doors to fully complete the experience--

Happy reading--

No comments: