Sunday, December 6, 2020

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRueThe Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Modern Mrs. Darcy aka Anne Bogel mentioned this book on her podcast a few months ago - simply recommending it as a book about a girl who makes a bargain with gods who only come out in the dark, and that bargain allows her to live forever but be forgotten by everyone she meets. To be honest, when I picked it up again, I only remembered that Anne had recommended it, and that there was an element of magical realism to it. I am wary of books that edge on fantasy, but I really liked this one. The centuries of details and people met are fascinating and the questions of what it means to be remembered and what time means to a well lived life are thought provoking.

Full disclosure that there were times were I wasn't sure where the book was going, and I was getting a little bogged down in Addie's somewhat repetitive struggles. That said, the story is so unique and the atmospheric details so well set up, that I am rounding from 4.5 stars to 5. This is another book where the less you know, the better, and yes, this book has made me crave France, London, and New York in a major way. I think COVID is making me stir crazy.

Happy reading--

No comments: