Tuesday, September 29, 2020

More Myself: A Journey

More Myself: A JourneyMore Myself: A Journey by Alicia Keys
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don't read a lot of celebrity memoir, but I admire Keys' musical ability and her activism, so I decided to give this one a try. After all, I woke up to Empire State of Mind for a least a year as my alarm ringtone of choice, and I loved Keys' role as June in The Secret Life of Bees. This book is probably a 3.5 and definitely higher for others who know her work better, but I got bogged down in some of the details. I wanted a little less philosophizing and more tangible details about specific projects she has been a part of. That said, I still think she's remarkable and the audio version is a must if you're going to read this. Not only is Alicia a good reader, but she has guest narrators like Bono, her husband, Oprah, and Michelle Obama who chime in.

Happy reading and happy musical living--

ps. I loved the details about why she chose Keys as her stage name, and I appreciated her commentary on finding her voice as she got older. I strongly identify with that experience.


No comments: