Monday, November 30, 2020

A Promised Land

A Promised LandA Promised Land by Barack Obama
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It is common practice after an American president leaves office for a detailed biography to be written about their life and their presidency. Obama's is unique because he wrote the book himself, which is why it has taken an extra couple years to come out and perhaps why his story will be two books instead of one.

I am not in the habit of reading presidential biographies. In fact, reading Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton biography (I know he was never president) is the closest I've ever come, and that was because I was obsessed as we all have been with the musical inspired by the book. But I really liked Michelle's memoir, and I really like Obama.

His writing is good and his story telling is compelling. Obama has always seemed eloquent, but I loved his candor and his random profanity. He made it feel like he was telling you a story over drinks rather than giving a presentation. Obama is honest about his missteps and short falls and adds humanity to what seems like a very heavy and lonely role as Commander in Chief. His pacing is good - giving just enough details of his early life to help you understand his background without getting too tedious (my one complaint of Michelle's Becoming). You have to be interested in both his political career and the specific experiences he had in his various roles, which should go without saying, but I feel like someone will say "there was too much political detail." This is a president's autobiography that only get us a few years into his first term and still 29 hours in audiobook form. The physical book comes in at over 700 pages.

There's no way for me to review this book without my political views affecting my rating. I have been captivated by Barack Obama since hearing his senate acceptance speech in 2004. I think he and Michelle have worked tirelessly to better the lives of Americans. I haven't always agreed with everything Obama has said or done, but on the whole, I think he's a good man and he was a good president. I'm only sorry he couldn't serve a third term. I didn't expect to tear up during this book, but I did repeatedly. Knowing that Obama finished this book before the election results were in somehow made this book even more impactful. His note at the end of the book, written in August, as the pandemic and election were at what we thought were their craziest point, was prescient and genuine. I really do love the Obamas.

Enough now - apparently my review length is matching the length of the book. Happy reading, and I have to say that despite everything, I am so grateful to live in this promised land.

No comments: