Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sense and Sensibility


Sense and SensibilitySense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's fitting that I would finally finish this book in England staying so close to the places Jane Austen wrote about in her books here. Walking through the quiet streets in the Cotswalds and in Bath makes everything about a book like this come to life. I can't say that I am in love with Austen's writing style - books don't usually take me so long to read...but I am so in love with her story lines that it makes up for the occasional tedium I feel when I'm reading. Sense & Sensibility's Elinor is one of my favorite characters of all time, so I'm glad to made it to the end of her story. I love the sisters in this story. I love their romantic notions and the objects of their affection. If I wasn't unabashedly obsessed with Pride and Prejudice (not to mention Emma and Mansfield Park), I would say this is Austen's best..but where's the fun in picking just one favorite? Happy reading!

ps. I blame any odd wording or typos on the jet lag. It simply can't be helped. :)

(And what did I watch to go along with finally delving into this book - the newer BBC version of Sense and Sensibility, of course....with Downton Abbey's Matthew Crawley playing Edward Ferrars. Perfectly delightful.)

1 comment:

Maggie said...

You know, I have to say that this is the one Jane Austen that isn't as good as the movie. (and I mean the Ang Lee version) I was so disappointed when I read the book that there was almost no character development for Edward. You almost don't know anything about him until the very end of the book! Still love it. Just not as much as the movie with Emma Thompson. :)