Thursday, June 20, 2013

Letting Ana Go

Letting Ana GoLetting Ana Go by Anonymous
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“Go Ask Alice” still haunts me. When I saw that Simon & Schuster had released a similar style book, I felt compelled to read it. Part of me wonders if Ana’s story is really a legitimate diary, but I still turned page after page enthralled and dreading the inevitable fate that both Lucy and Alice already met. Honestly, this book scared me more than Alice’s story – eating disorders and body issues are so prevalent that it’s hard not to relate these anxieties to ourselves or people we know. I could not recommend this book to my students because I’d fear that it would serve as a “how to” on extreme dieting, but I would recommend it. It’s eye opening, haunting, and everything that a powerful book should be.

No comments: