Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Consistent Scripture Study

If you know me well, you know I've never been very good at consistent scripture study. I've tried on and off, but the habit never stuck. Enter Seth Mann and my realization that if we were ever going to do family scripture study (aka reading with kids), we would need to start with each other. We started reading together a few weeks before we got engaged, but we still would occasionally miss a day. Then our Sunday School teacher gave an awesome lesson on the power of daily study of The Book of Mormon two years ago on the first Sunday after the new year. He challenged us to read every day for thirty days. That first week after his lesson, I missed a day, and I was so bummed. I didn't miss a day after that...and I haven't missed since then. Most of the time, Seth and I read together. It's not always a lot, but it is truly a habit.

We finished The Book of Mormon (another goal and technically my 62nd book for 2017) on New Year's Eve driving to the Taylors' house for a party, and I was profoundly touched in part because of the truth of that great book and in part because of becoming a daily scripture reader. I'm so glad to add that to my days. It's truly a blessing.

No comments: