Thursday, October 11, 2018

Persuasion

PersuasionPersuasion by Jane Austen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am late to the game when it comes to Austen's lesser known stories. I, of course, have watched the movies many times, but most of my "Persuasion" knowledge comes from references in other books and films. It's fun to get lost in Austen's stories - to walk the streets of Bath or to sit in a quiet library with her characters. It's comforting to know that her heroines will get what they most desire by the end of the story and to be a part of a world that is so blithely unaware of the world at large.

That said, this is not my favorite of her books. It's solidly good. I just get too frustrated with the side characters, especially her father and sisters, being so unlikeable. A woman in my book club pointed out that having unlikeable characters is part of Austen's own maturation, but in this stage of life, I need the balance of good people to negative, back-biters to be on the side of the good. Still like I said, Austen is faithful to her heroines ultimately winning the day. I love that about her.

Happy reading and happy fall--

ps. I never thought I'd say this after her convincing portrayal of the horrible Mrs. Elton in "Emma", but Juliet Stevenson is a great reader for all things Austen. If you haven't fall in love with a Jane Austen book yet, try her version of "Emma" or Rosamund Pike's version of "Pride and Prejudice". They're wonderful.

No comments: