Thursday, November 29, 2018

Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done

Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More DoneOff the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done by Laura Vanderkam
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I finished this book just yesterday, and already I think I'll read it again in a few months (if not sooner). Like Greg McKeown's Essentialism, Off the Clock boils things down to a very basic level. We all have 168 hours in a week - what we do with those hours is up to us. We walk around often feeling the victims of circumstance; too many responsibilities and to do's. Vanderkam challenges those assumptions we have about time in tangible, practical ways that can be acted upon immediately. In my professional life as a teacher and private life, I lived and died by my to do list and schedule - I purposefully put in things I love to do alongside the things I had to do. However, as a new mom and now stay-at-home-parent, my rhythm is dramatically different. I seemingly have less to do, but find myself much more at the mercy of things outside of my control. This book was timely in that regard. Vanderkam's commentary that we are wasting more time than we think through our overall media/social media consumption was also a key takeaway. We need to be intentional about how all time is spent. That's how we find the time to do the things we love with the people who matter most. I'm a work in progress, but every minute found means a lot.

Happy reading--

View all my reviews

No comments: