Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Fountains of Silence

The Fountains of SilenceThe Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book SO good. I didn't realize that I knew so little about post-war Franco Spain, Sepetys created fantastic characters to illustrate what went on during the 1950s through Franco's death in 1975. Reading this on the heels of Purnell's A Woman of No Importance highlighted for me how many stories we still don't know and why it's so critical to keep asking questions and trying to understand what really happened in history and in the lives of the people around us. That's a broad, over-dramatic statement, but I kept shaking my head while I read this unable to grasp the soul crushing reality so many Spaniards faced under Franco's rule. I hope that if I were in a similar situation, I also wouldn't look away and would dare to question what was really happening.

Read it or listen to it-- it's well worth your time. Happy reading--

No comments: