Sunday, April 19, 2009

Oh wow - the writer's strike has ended after a solid five weeks of intense talks (I'm not schizophrenic - it just sounds more interesting that there's been inner drama). Besides being really busy, it's hard to write about what's going on in life when you've lost your job and you're sure what you're doing next (especially when I'm one of the lucky ones that can say that I love my job and the people I work with). So finally, an update and a few pictures from the last couple weeks.

Story #1 "Seeing New Colors"
In February, I found out that I would be part of that group who can say they have been affected by the economic downturn. At first, I thought I was totally fine. I had semi-expected it since I'm relatively new to my school district. But as reality set in, and I told my students that I wouldn't be returning in the fall I got angry and so sad about losing a job that I love. All I could see was pink (the color that had tagged to teachers losing jobs because of pink slips. But now, while my horizons still burn with a tinge of pink, I am mostly seeing blue - Cougar blue to be specific. As of August 31st, I will officially be a student at BYU again seeking a Masters degree in Public Administration (to do non-profit or HR work or just go back to teaching once with a higher degree). I'm excited to be transitioning from one place I love to another.




Story #2 "Living the Good Life"
Everyone should have a spring break. It makes everything better and the week preceding and after it much more relaxed. Here are a few pictures of what I did with my week of freedom (besides grade of course).


Someday Jewels and I will take pictures together, but for now here's Mae. I flew into Utah to attend classes at BYU to make sure I liked the feel of the program. Of course, spending time laughing with Maezers and hanging out with Ryan, Jewels, and Brett were great too.





Let's be honest - one of the reasons I live and breathe is baseball. I know, I know - the Giants are horrible. But on Opening Night, they honored Tim Lincecum and for a brief few hours, we believed that this season could be the one.


If you haven't been to the Giants ballpark, give me a call. I will gladly play tour guide. Before our game, we hit up a great Indian food restaurant, but for tourist friends, a Giants hot dog is a must (vegetarians need not apply - kidding, sort of).



I finally finished my project - books and pictures of people/places I love. Random, I know, but I'm glad to be finished. I love walking by it when I get home at night.

Some of you may be thinking, how could I tear up my beloved books? It was harder than you might think - I am so weird about my books...



The Easter bunny came a bit early and to celebrate my parents, Cameron, Jenessa, and I went to a fabulous dinner in a private room San Francisco's acclaimed "Boulevard" and saw Wicked. Phenomenal night - best performances I have seen in a long time. I could have sat through another show immediately following the completion of the first.




It was Tim's last Saturday in the Bay Area, so a few friends and I decided to make the trek to city so show him what why everyone secretly wishes they were Californians.

Admit it, you wish you were here. I wish you were--

Story #3 "Yes, She Defies Gravity"
This is a reference to my fabulous niece who, as you can see from above, is sitting up and in the first stages of crawling. She "sings" all the time - Pre-School Musical (the Disney channel's next project) will star her in 2012. Be excited!

Did you make it through all that? Wow - well done.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I don't know what to comment on first. Let's start by an obvious choice, baby Mae. Pre School Musical will be lucky to have those little vocal chords of gold! I love the picture of her feet. Next, I am digging the finished product of how your walls turned out, I love it. I have a couple four letter joys for the color pink. Are you going to teach Mae the BYU Fight Song when August 31 rolls around? And to end, lets reiterate the obvious, Mae is adorable, and you are fantastic. I sure do love you.

Christy said...

Back to BYU-How Exciting! It sounds like a fun masters-how funny you met Scott. He feels like the patriarch of the program. I bet it will be fun to be closer to Mae as you move back to UT. She is so cute!

Rachel said...

Wow! Back to BYU...I'm so excited for you! You sound great. I miss you a ton. Thanks for the text the other day...it was needed.

I'll be in Utah June 13th-20th. Let me know if you'll be in the area.

The Leakes said...

I'm glad you are back to the blogging world-it was great to catch up on your life! That is so exciting that you will be back at BYU and I'm sure you will LOVE being closer to Jewels and Mae-she is one cute girl! Well, thanks for the update-love you!

Baxter said...

I'm glad to see you're making the best of a bad situation. I have a few friends in the MPA program at BYU, and they all like it. It gives you the prestige of studying in the Marriott School, but without the hyper-competitiveness. :)

Take care,
Baxter

Katie said...

Jaclyn,

I am so excited for you to go back to school. That sounds awesome and I'm sure will open so many doors for you. Sometimes I dream of being back in Provo, I guess we could be if Braden gets his MBA there in a few years..I digress. Anyway, we need to hang out this summer before you go. I move out there in a week and will be with my parents until mid May when we move into our house in Vacaville. Yogurt Park is calling our names :)

forget laundry said...

LOVE the book page project!
LOVE that you've seen wicked 2 times (maybe more) before I've seen it once.
LOVE the Jenessa is a total babe (as are you- but I just don't see her as often)
LOVE that Mae lives in Utah so you can be close to her always.
And LOVE LOVE that you are coming here

LOVE you
LOVE me

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

I finally read your blog all the way through! Do you know how much I am going to miss you brightening up our days? It makes me sad just to think about it. You were such a blessing in Ryan, Cameron and especially Jenessa's life these past two years you have been home! The trips to Utah will have to continue, even if I hate flying. I am excited for this new adventure for you which will be a bit daunting to say the least, but right. You are an amazing daughter and I am so blessed to be your mom! Love you