Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Defining Moments

Defining Moments: When Managers Must Choose Between Right and RightDefining Moments: When Managers Must Choose Between Right and Right by Joseph L. Badaracco Jr.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I will spare you the long-winded details of another school book review. One quick thought – this book is about work choices and life choices and moments in which the two types of choices become hopelessly intertwined. These definng moments usually reveal something important about our basic values and about our commitments in life. This is not to say that defining moments or hard decisions create new values. Rather, these moments simply make clear the things that matter most to us (whether they be principles or priorities).

Reading Badaracco’s book, I found myself reflecting on the moments that have defined much of who I am thus far and also considering what defining moments I will face in the future. It’s interesting to consider the seemingly simple moments that actually affected everything that came after. I also was left thinking about who I am and who I am trying to be and how that fits into my personal ethics – essentially I did everything my ethics professor could have hoped for…oh, and I fell in love with Nietzsche (Can’t confidently pronounce his name, but I am in love with his idea of self and with living our “best life” – JW- if you were here, I think we would have lots to talk about)….

No comments: