Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ophelia

OpheliaOphelia by Lisa M. Klein
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am usually wary of books that borrow from another story’s brilliance to drive their own plot. I finally gave in though to Lisa Klein’s Ophelia because, simply said, I love Shakespeare’s Hamlet. Perhaps it’s because I first encountered Ophelia when I was a melodramatic teenager, but I ‘ve always been intrigued by Ophelia in all her tragic beauty. The chance to read a well-researched book that gives Ophelia back her truncated life was worth my time and surprisingly engaging once I got past Klein’s attempts at Old English references. If you are a Shakespeare lover, read it. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

ps. I don't think I've rated lately about lame it is that we can't give half stars. This is a 3.5 for all the research and care Klein had to have put into creating this plot....

1 comment:

Brett, Juliann, and Mae said...

I seriously love the cover of this book.