Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Lost Wife

The Lost WifeThe Lost Wife by Alyson Richman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I did it again – I bought a book because I liked the cover. I got sucked in by the critic’s comment of “The Sophie’s Choice of this generation” and the rose palette used to color the picture of a couple kissing on the St. Charles Bridge in Prague. Don’t get me wrong – hard decisions about how to proceed under Nazi occupation are a compelling idea for a novel, but the writing is just good, not great. The tense shifting is awkward, and the twist is not subtle. I did love the use of art and color in the story. That is Richman’s greatest strength in creating her arc and imagery. So, read it if you have time or if you love this era. If you’re only going to read a handful of books this year, I can just tell you about this one. Happy reading!

No comments: