Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Usual Rules

The Usual RulesThe Usual Rules by Joyce Maynard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really, really like this book. I like it so much in fact that after reading my sister's copy seven or eight years ago, I thought about it enough to buy it for myself and reread it. It's not perfect, but I am so impressed by Maynard's ability to tell an authentic story without dipping into the overly-dramatic or overly-simplified. 9/11 is such a hard topic to use as a backdrop for a story, but Maynard tells a poignant coming-of-age story about a girl named Wendy who loses her mom in the towers. What I love most about this book is the description of Wendy's mother and step-father's relationship. Maybe it's because I love love, I love Seth, and I love reading about people's little details. This isn't a casual read because the topic is so heavy, but it's a worthwhile read. Think about it. You might really enjoy it.

Happy reading!

ps. I shouldn't be so excited, but I actually read three books in January. That's a big improvement for me. :)

No comments: