Wednesday, May 3, 2017

It Happens All the Time

It Happens All the TimeIt Happens All the Time by Amy Hatvany
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I am all sorts of conflicted about what to say about this book. I need to preface my comments with the fact that Amy Hatvany is not a bad writer. In fact, she sets up a compelling narrative, but this book was not what I expected: an entire novel based on sexual assault. I didn't need a play-by-play of what happened and then I didn't need to re-live it over and over with the character. The tone was preachy during the last few chapters, and while I think this is a really important topic, I do not (and did not) want to read an entire novel about it.

That said, sexuality and sexual assault is something that we need to start talking about more candidly. It's the very taboo nature of the topics that lead to so many women not reporting what happens to them. Open dialogue is the answer to so many of our society's current problems. I wish instead I had read a book about that. Glennon Doyle Melton, for example, would have been a much better read for me.

Totally your call on this one, but as always, happy reading--

ps. Should't I have known better from the title?!

No comments: