Friday, May 12, 2017

The Orphan Keeper

The Orphan KeeperThe Orphan Keeper by Camron Wright
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's no surprise that I love to get lost in a good book. The story of a young Indian boy taken from his home and then illegally put up for adoption in the United States is a fascinating one. This novel is based on the life of a real person from Utah who eventually really did return to India to find his family. The real story is so compelling that I wanted to disappear into the contrasting tastes and sounds of an Indian village alongside the stoic grandeur of the Rocky Mountains. But I couldn't.

The writing is distracting and uneven. The story telling is unevenly paced and important details glossed over while others brought to the forefront when they don't really matter. I wonder if part of the issue is that the author made the stylistic choice to skip over much of the religious life of the real person. This meant that the two year mission the real Taj Rowland went on became a study abroad. The details don't entirely make sense, and I think that a non-fiction version of this written in Laura Hillenbrand's style might have been better.

Long story a bit longer: I 100% get why so many people love this story. The story really is amazing. But the writing leaves much to be desired. Truth be told, I would probably give this book two stars, but because so many people I love loved this book, I am giving it three so as to not start any drama...and I have just joined a new book club and this is their second book choice. I'm not connected with any of them on Goodreads, but in case they do join, I don't want to be ousted so early on. ;)

Happy reading and happy almost summer--

No comments: