Friday, December 14, 2018

Harry Potter: A History of Magic

Harry Potter: A History of MagicHarry Potter: A History of Magic by British Library
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is a remarkable collection of backstories on many elements found in the Harry Potter series. It is a bit like a topical encyclopedia, so it's definitely not for the faint of heart or a casual Harry Potter fan. I actually think a great audience for this book would be middle grade age kids who love learning and the world J.K. Rowling created.

All in all, while the book felt a bit like homework, I am again struck with how amazing J.K. Rowling is. Her ability to combine so many historically significant legends and stories while also creating her own magical world is almost impossible to grasp. So many of her storylines are layered in folklore and real history, but it is done with such a deft hand, that I didn't even notice. I had no idea that a hippogriff wasn't something she created. More than that, I love that this book showed some of her drafting process. Every detail was included on purpose and drafted and redrafted. If I was still in a classroom, I would have been sharing how many drafts Rowling's beloved stories actually went through.

And until I can go to the British Library for this exhibit, I have had a fantastic taste of it.

Happy reading and imagining--

No comments: