Wednesday, March 13, 2019

In Pieces

In PiecesIn Pieces by Sally Field
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

To start, I have to say how much I admire Sally Field's work. She manages so often to convey quiet strength and unapologetic tenacity in her acting. I have loved so many of the films she has made, so I assumed I would be just as captivated by her autobiography. I feel like it's important to say that this book was simply not for me. It's not that it isn't interestingly told, but it is just so much darker than I anticipated. From details about years of sexual abuse, bad relationships, and dissatisfaction with much of her work, it was too mired in confusion and sadness with very little resolution. I do not mind candor and think it brave of Field to share so much of her personal experience, but I came away from the book wishing I had put it down when my instinct told me to do so at the very beginning. Perhaps I wanted too much of the trivial. Field does not detail any of her experiences with Steel Magnolias, Mrs. Doubtfire, Forrest Gump, etc - maybe more of the familiar mixed in with her struggles would have helped me like it better. Or perhaps I'm just not in a place for more sad stories. Either way, definitely not my favorite and why I fell headlong by into the Harry Potter series, where the good always wins the day.

Happy reading and good luck finding all the pieces-

(Book 21 - 2019)


View all my reviews

No comments: