Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Heart Books!

It is no surprise I love books - I love the way they smell, the way they feel in your hands, and most importantly, the way they transport you to another life, time, or place. Since I was a little girl, I have used the summer months to catch up on all those books I haven't had a chance to read during the school year. This summer, I've already been lucky enough to read four books (besides my textbooks of course), and it is just the beginning. Why tell you this? Because along with rediscovering my love of reading these past couple weeks, I have had a lot of fun with goodreads.com. It's a way to see what people and your friends are reading, to read reviews on the books being read by your friends, and to get ideas of what you'd like to read when you finally get a chance. So if you have a minute, check out goodreads.com. Even if you're not churning out novels by the week (or by the day if you're my sister or my grandma), it's still entertaining to see your friends are reading.


And despite sounding much older than I am, I have to tell you how much I enjoy attending my book club. A group of my teacher friends started it a few months ago. The book club is great because we have teachers that come from all disciplines so we get a variety of perspectives from people who have such different backgrounds. Our most recent discussion was on "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close." It tells the tale of a nine-year-old boy who has recently lost his father on 9/11 and the journey he takes in trying to understand both his father's life and his death. I cannot adequately explain the story in its uniqueness and its twisting plot, but it is very well written. The author uses pictures and color to help demonstrate his themes and points--I've never read or seen anything like it in an adult novel. Our book club discussion was all over the place as we hit topics varying from world politics to what the objects we value mean to those who are left behind after we die. Not to mention that we laughed at a nine-year-old's take on love, New York City streets, and the quirky people he encounters. I'd highly recommend it. Next month we're reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life" if you want to join us--

Anyway-- enough random spill on books. I have to be careful. Once I get started talking about books, I almost cannot stop. I am off to read "Twisted" or "Salvaged Pages" - not sure which I'm craving more. Happy reading!

8 comments:

Becca said...

If you have time this summer (and even if you don't), you should read "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss. She's Jonathan Safran Foer's wife--imagine what a gorgeous life they have. Their book dedications to each other are wonderful. Her style is compatible with his--hence the most amazing book ever. It's my favorite. I cry starting on page 2, and continue throughout.

Anonymous said...

I love it. I just got an email from good reads and it had, like, 100 updates from you. I can´t wait to get back and go to the library to check out these books! Love ya!

Anna White said...

has justin ever told you how much he likes you? because he really does. :) i don't think he's read this post yet, or he most DEFINITELY would have commented on it. so in case it takes him a while--just know that he'll like you even more. But probly not as much as I do! I just started the Life of Pi for my book group--wahoo!! :)

Shelly Meron said...

I'm always saying I'm too busy to read, and it's usually true... but this post is making me crave a good summer book! Also, a friend recommended The Glass Castle to me over the weekend. Haven't read it but it sounds interesting. Check it out!

Justin said...

Since Anna already guessed my response to this post, I don't have much to add. But I love books too, and you climbed even higher in my favorite people lists (you're already pretty close to the top). I read a good chunk of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and I bet you'll like it. My problem is that I tend to read too many books at one time. I'm trying to get better at finishing them off.

Christy said...

Hey Jaclyn! Blogging is really coming in handy-my Mom lost her calendar with everything in it and has forgotten when Juliann's baby shower is. We don't have any contact info for you guys anymore-so I hope you get this-we'd love to come! Talk to you soon!

Liz Lambson said...

Woohoo for book clubs! I didn't know you had a blog--we started ours when we got married and I'm still getting all connected in! Can we be blog friends? Yay!

Liz Lambson said...

Okay Jaclyn,
I have to make a sincere and long-deserved apology. This last week I absolutely devoured the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book. I just remember having a conversation about it with you because I had bought it in an airport, tried to read it, and was quickly disinterested (which happens with almost every book or movie I experience on a plane), and I thought you must be crazy for liking it. But... I was so wrong. I was so lethargic trying to read Anna Karenina, I decided to give the Sisterhood a chance, and I have to say that I'm kind of obsessed now! I should have trusted your opinion. Forgive me. On Saturday I bought the next three books at Walmart and I really want to see the movies. Who'd have thought? No more literature-ical elitism for me! They're just that good!