Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summer Bliss

Welcome to Summer 2008! I have been dreaming of this moment since August 27th of last year. Somehow the two moves of last summer negated the lazy bliss that is supposed to be mine for two solid months, and so here I am ready to begin the endless days of nothing that I have to accomplish. Except, that I do have things to do - it wouldn't be my life if there wasn't some list made out of all the things I hope to do with my endless hours.
So far, summer has been wonderful. I have spent solid chunks of time dedicated to studying and writing papers for my Stanford class (okay - not so wonderful, but I've had the motivation to do it so that is truly a wonder). I have spent a lot of time with my family and my grandparents for Ryan's graduation and Father's Day. Jewels has been up to Alamo almost every day which means excessive laughing with my sisters. Tracy and I have spent hours lounging, talking, and making plans for all the fun things we want to do in the next few months and the rest of our lives. I have already sent out the invitations for Jewels' baby shower with Jenessa's help and am having fun imagining life with Baby Mae running around. I have begun evaluating different lessons I taught this past year and made plans for what I want to try and incorporate in my classes next year. I have started three novels (Mercy, Fire in the Blood, and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close) and have finished one (Fire in the Blood). I said good-bye to one of the Katies (two amazing friends that I teach with at SRV) as she prepares to start a life in the shadow of the Colorado Rockies. I have started piano lessons for the first time since high school - my fingers felt a bit like the Tin Man's as I tried to finger scales that used to just flow across the keys. I am definitely going to need some oil and hours of practicing before that's a reality again. And to think - this is just the beginning. I love summer!


Ryan's graduation officially marked the beginning of summer. In this picture you have the SR4 and M2 (Mae counts as a person too!). Oh, and can you tell we're related? No wonder the SR4 freaked people out in the hallways on those rare occasions that we were all together!

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Yes! First to comment again! You talking about Mae made me think of Horton Hears a Who, "A person is a person no matter how small." She's gonna be so cute... I'm so excited for her to come I can't stand it! Horray to your summertime bliss, it's well deserved!

Melanie said...

And I am just happy to have brushed my teeth...

Kaylinn said...

Happy summer to you! I knew we choose the best profession ever! :)"Real" job people have no idea what they're missing. (As opposed to our fake jobs...whatever)

christina clark said...

Your family looks gorgeous! You all are so grown up and I could barely recognize Janessa, that is how long it has been since I've seen your family. Congrats on Summer, it has always been my favorite time and sometime in the future I will be enjoying those Summer Freedom Months too, but for now I'm taking math this summer and remembering how time consuming math can be. love you!

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

this is nessa
and yes this summer has already been an amazing, happy, relaxing experience. i am so excited. i wonder how far we will get on our bikes without falling down the stairs after. piano lessons are gonna be fun! xoxoxo

Becca said...

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is AMAZING!!!! Enjoy it.

Julie said...

How fun that you are all together! You are all grown up, crazy! Sounds like you have a fun summer ahead. We are going to be in town for most of August and I want to see you when we are out there!