Sunday, June 1, 2008

Jenessa Alyse rocks my pretty pink socks!



This past school year, Monday through Friday, the Hutchins high-schoolers, Ryan (18 - senior), Cameron (17 - junior), and Jenessa (14 - freshman) have left the house at 6am to make their way to the Danville stake center for seminary. By about 7:25, Jenessa has made the rounds, checking her locker and catching up on the latest gossip (which she is rarely a part of - smarter than her sister already!) By 7:30, Jenessa has found her way to my classroom to spend her A period with me. While I run around posting makeup work and writing the day's agenda on the board, she crammed two hours worth of homework into forty minutes. Though we have managed exceptional (and necessary) amounts of productivity during that A period, we have managed to laugh until we cried about everything from how to pronounce Miercoles to my teacher voice to the awkwardness of having a student walk in and say, "You're my best friend" and then turn around and walk out.

Flash forward six 55-minute class periods, one 10-minute break, and one 35-minute lunch, and you find us exactly the way we were in the morning, her sans the homework and me marking attendance online. We're laughing at that same kid who says I'm his best friend and who has now come in to inform me I'm his auntie (Cameron adopted him) or griping about lame parents, teachers, students, or classmates (depends on the day). We compare plans for the afternoon and evening, roll our eyes at the insane amount of homework she has, and on good days, plan an outing to High Tech Burrito. Then off she runs to catch carpool before Ryan leaves her.

The reason for explaining Jenessa and my weekday madness is to give you a glimpse into how special this kid is. On my worst afternoons (ie days when kids either lit things on fire or told me to my face that my class was &$#@), when I thought breakdown was inevitable, in tumbles this incredible kid who surpasses me in every way especially her goodness and her brilliance. Though Jenessa could be running around with her friends, she makes sure to check in and say hello. This school year has tested my limits - on two very specific occassions, I was sure that I was going to quit, but Jenessa kept me going. I couldn't leave her. Send her to the library during A period?! How could I? More than that - how could I miss this chance to spend so much time with Jenessa during her high school years?!

It's been so much fun to watch the "rug rats" as I used to call the youngest three take on the challenges of a new high school, especially after being away from home for so long. When I left for BYU, Jenessa was 8-years-old, reading up a storm and scribbling into her fifteen notebooks that she had stashed around her room. Her bed had over a hundred stuffed animals on it (all named by the way) which actually only left her a corner to sleep on. When I came home this past summer, she was 14, tall, beautiful, and much cooler than I ever was - she loved the Book of Mormon, had great friends, worked hard at school and piano, and aspired to the Ivy Leagues. In the last nine months, she's only gotten cooler. High school hasn't ruined her - she's just as friendly as she was last August and gets funnier by the day. Miss Ness has made my year. I'm looking forward to the question next year of, "Miss Hutchins, is Jenessa Hutchins your sister?" To which I'll reply, "Of course she is - she's taught me everything I know."

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Jenessa is pretty much a stud, we all know that. Sitting next to her on a pew at CV3 for a year was simply amazing to say the least. She is also a remarkable speller. Better than me and Juliann. Who needs Webster's when you've got Nessa?

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

NESS, NOT RICK
I don't know if you realized how much you have been my idol all my life. Everything you did, from reading the COOLEST books to saying the cleverest things. I have always wanted to be just like you since i can remember. I guess its the typical youngest sister syndrome, but i still truly think you are AMAZING from ages 4-soon-to-be 15. And you saved me from mental breakdowns at least 4 times. Not to mention how many times you have saved my but from our parentals. I love you babe and i know i couldnt have lived through freshman year without you, especially with the aahem special girls at SR. YOU kept me sane i believe. Maybe thats why you came back home =) XOXOXOXO

Megan said...

What a sweet sister love you've got going on!! It makes me want to meet Jenessa more than ever. Good job to both of you on being incredible.

Marvia said...

Oh man, the youth today... they are incredible. Your sister reminds me of my nieces. I was never that smart!!! They have things figured out that I'm just barely putting together in my head. I hope that my little Audrey will have that sort of sense when she's developing her character. By the way, miss ya Jaclyn

Anna White said...

wow, jenessa is not a little girl anymore! I have GOT to make my way to the hutchins home soon. before they are all off and married....

Katie said...

This post makes me feel old. And the picture to the right when you were a sophomore! Aren't we still in high school and Janessa is just a little kid? Where did the time go? How fun to think of high school though. Memories of Pepsi in Lorna's class, Yogurt Park runs, leadership and the fun dances with pictures in Jaclyn's beautiful yard. I'll never forget these memories. I already miss you. Can't wait to move back to Cali!