Monday, May 26, 2008

The Magic of Foil and Scissors

Simply said, I love getting my hair done. The process, despite the fact that it often takes close to three hours, is one of my favorite experiences. In no other setting do I get to walk in, be excessively pampered with scalp massages and fingers running through my hair, talk with a good friend, and wind up looking better than when I arrived. Natalie Seely, the creative mind and hands behind the hair style and color, gives me a glimpse of what my heaven will look like - someone to do my hair every day. I'm happy to cook, clean, drive my own car, but sign me up for a personal stylist to wash my hair and make me look like I know what I'm doing with my insane blonde hair.

So for your viewing enjoyment, a random view into the before, during, and after of my most recent visit to Natalie's--

Looking pretty normal for the end of a windblown day- notice my normal does include looking borderline like a nineteen-year-old college coed, but not too much I can do about that.


In "Steel Magnolias," Dolly Parton's character says, "There's no such thing as natural beauty." While that view is a bit extreme and makes me laugh, the image of me with enough foil in my hair to pick up HBO is a classic example of the madness that girls go through for "natural beauty."


My level of love for new haircuts is evident in two things - how much I stare the mirror and how much I touch my hair. Embarrassingly enough, Natalie noticed this when she cut my hair in February - like a pre-teen I was checking myself out in the mirror and touseling my own hair while she was working on my sister's. I tried to resist (notice the word tried) the hair touching and checking out my every angle this past Thursday. Natalie called a few minutes after I'd left the salon, and what was I doing while I was driving on the freeway? Touching my hair and sneaking glances in the rear view mirror. Definitely a whole new level of love!

5 comments:

Brett, Juliann, and Mae said...

I love the hair cut and I can't wait to see it in person. I hope your weekend was wonderful. Love ya

Melanie said...

You look hot! I love the new do and I would definately be checking myself out in the mirror if I had that cut. Love it!

Patrick said...

Is this "the one" that does your hair, and she cut it short when she moved to utah, just so it would be good for a long time.

I thought there was something better about your hair today, but now it sounds like I'm sucking up...

That was an interesting look into the backstage action of a girl's haircut.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love it. You look great! And on another note, I was brave enough last week to get my hair cut in a foreign country. The color turned out great, but the cut... oh the cut. I´ll have to post pictures soon.

Love the new you!! :)

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

this is ness
man, this is so much better when you read it aloud. Though i must admit to all you readers, the HBO comment was not from our dear Jaclyn's brilliant mind. She stole it from a movie of course. I love the new DO! xoxoxo