Monday, May 19, 2008

Different Selves

I had the chance a few weeks ago to sit in on a lesson taught by Karen Bonnar, another English teacher at San Ramon Valley. Karen was teaching a lesson about the different selves each of us possess - essentially the roles we play or the things we identify ourselves with. In preparing for an essay, Karen's students were to create a list of their different selves. While the students were sharing their lists, I got carried away trying to break down the oddity that is me. I know the list is long and some things are obscure (or the nouns are completely made up!), but I was fascinated by how much we ignore so much of who we are. Looking at my cramped list at the end of Karen's class, I realized there are so many facets to our lives- so many areas to examine and so many areas to crack up about. This list, that has been bouncing around in my brain ever since, has made me want to be more, so that someday when I write my crazy memoirs, I'll have something to say.

Without further delay, here is the incomplete list of my different selves....daughter - therapist - second mom - Latter-day Saint - RS sister - counselor - educator - friend - confidant - target - sister - fan (of too many things to mention!) - optimist - Brit - Italian - German - Christian - dancer - hiker - tutor - firefighter - granddaughter - writer - student - decorator - player (not in the ghetto "she just played him" kind of way) - actress - cousin - exerciser - listener - walker - sharer - musician - appreciator - dreamer - great granddaughter - patient - traveler - wolf, wasp, spartan, cougar, ugly eagle, mustang, hawk - tourist - employee - Charlie's Angel - stresser - patriot - first born - intellectual (perhaps pseudo should precede that one) - aunt-to-be - mediator - resident - coach - laugher - rambler - referee - spectator - battler - dater - Californian - girl - pianist - honorary aunt - Utahn - tripper - American - woman - twenty-something - people watcher - baker - scholar - graduate - giver - confidence builder - "godmother" - stylist - budgeter - cleaner - questioner - mess-maker - speaker - organizer - conformist - mold breaker - caffeineaholic - sister-in-law - blogger - fixer - future queen of information - planner - list-maker - collector - bridesmaid - colleague - volunteer - consumer - sleeper - niece - gardner - union member - makeup artist - singer - crier - hostess - tomboy - girly girl - adventurer - cyclist - seeker - believer - photographer - roommate - explorer - supporter - mutt - grader - performer - cowgirl - eater - conosseuir - wisher - lover (of too many things to mention) - basker - liberal conservative - traditionalist - wallflower - baby-sitter - comedian- driver - leader - follower - teacher - processor - ranter - citizen - rememberer - passenger - mentor - psychologist - reader - peacemaker - chef - shopper - activist - storyteller - philosopher - author - mistake maker - admirer - secret keeper - wonderer - etc.

4 comments:

forget laundry said...

Jaclyn... I wish I was more like you. you have so many wonderful qualities and so many things you are really good at. I know life doesn't come easy for anybody- but you make it look so effortless. not at all to say you don't work hard- because, if anyone, you do. I am so glad you are my friend, therapist, confidant, roommate, believer, my kid's "god mother," appreciator, secret keeper, comedian and example- etc. loving you.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Love it. Especially the fact that you had to clarify that you´re a "player" but not a "playa." :) Loves to you!

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

this is Ness
I think you should be sister first, because it is definitely most important. and as i think about it, you probably are my therapist because you keep me sane during these lovely months of high school. I think you should add best friend too! xoxoxoxo

Megan said...

I agree with collette crew. After you left today, I thought, here I am, talking about how Sister Hinckley is so amazing, and I have Jaclyn sitting right here in front of me with so many of the same amazing characteristics. Thanks for visiting. You totally made my day, week, and life.