Monday, May 12, 2008

Glory and Grace

In class last week, my sophomores and I were discussing embarrassment and how most people do not like to be singled out. This, of course, tied into characters in our current novel that seek to be seen and while others seek to blend into the walls - never a good match when those who want to be seen seek to pull the wall flowers into the glaring limelight. To help my sophomores grasp the tension and anxiety that often goes hand-in-hand with those excruciatingly embarrassing moments, I ended up telling them about one of my "classiest" moments in high school. Hard to believe I told (and tell) this story willingly....

In case you missed the "Grease" version of high school, seniors are supposed to rule the school. In 2001, I believed in that concept whole-heartedly and so on the last day of my senior year, I walked campus like it was my own personal kingdom. No more tests, no more teachers telling you to color and then telling you it was a worthwhile "academic" activity. My tenure as senior class vice president had gone well, and my responsibilities were almost over. In a matter of weeks, I would be a Cougar, no longer an Ugly Eagle sporting red, white, and blue.

My final walk on campus took me through the covered walkways near the amphitheatre to the parking lot in between the photo room and auto shop. I walked with my head up, smiling at the thought of a bonfire to destroy the final remnants of my public school career when WHAM! I hit the pavement with no hands to catch me after stepping in a pothole. The covered cake and cake plate I was holding in one hand flew like a Frisbee across the lot, and I lay on my half battered side not knowing quite what had happened. A set of arms scooped me up and I turned to see my kindergarten boyfriend trying to make sure I was okay. Ego bruised more than my ripped jeans, bloody leg, and scraped arm and hand, I braved a smile so he would walk away. People all around had stopped and stared - some openly laughed while others were bewildered by the massive hole in my pants and smashed cake plate. I gathered what poise I had left and scooped up my belonging sans the shards of plate and half-limped, half-walked to my car.

So "wonderful" to bask in the glory days of high school. Good thing I've tripped, not once but three times in the last week in the quad to keep those flashbacks close at hand and to keep my students entertained. Wouldn't want the embarrassment to fade away. But as Mr. Penovich always said, "Time plus tragedy equals humor." This escapade on my last day of high school is just icing on a very trip-filled cake and will someday be great fodder for the tell-all.

5 comments:

Shelly Meron said...

We all those humbling moments in high school... I continue to have those today! Every time I think I'm on top of the world, something happens to remind me I'm just human, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Here's to the good and embarrassing high school memories!

forget laundry said...

who was your kindergarten bf... I should know this?! and it pains me to know you, and a beautiful cake platter, bit the dust. i am glad you have this written down, embarrassing or not- it's good stuff to pass down and help your kids feel normal when they have similar mishaps.

Patrick said...

It is funny how we trip in the glory of our greatest moments. Maybe it's the Lord's way of keeping us from getting too comfortable. So I guess it's a good thing to trip once in awhile. I just hope you weren't carrying cake the three times you tripped this week. Though... it would be funny to throw cake on a student - accidentally. :)

The Nelsons said...

hey jaclyn, you have such a fun blog. i found it on anna's blog so i hope you don't mind i'm reading it. :) i bet your students love your class.

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

~this is Ness
jaclyn that is just sad, but hysterical. i can't believe you still had cake left. Wasting it like that is just sacrilegious. I haven't had a moment quite that high on the embarrassing scale, but there is no doubt that i will soon, whether it be on the last day of high school or tomorrow! xoxoxoxo