Monday, July 21, 2008

Confessions

Am I allowed to air random confessions through my blog? If I could sit you all down on my couch and tell you these stories, I would. Since most of us are now living many zip codes apart, here a few of mine in one tidy stream of consciousness.

*"Happy Christmas!" No, not a mistake - if Hermione can say it, so can I. Ahh, but you're not commenting on the use of "happy," you're thinking the mistake is that it's July. We just celebrated the 4th. My birthday and Labor Day come first (literally could be Labor Day if my sister pops September 1st!), not to mention Halloween and Thanksgiving come way before Christmas. But I confess, I have been indulging the craving for Christmas music. It started one Sunday a couple weeks ago with a song that was on a church music playlist and has blown into me even listening to Christmas tunes in my car. It has to stop. In fact, I told myself I could do it for one week only (that week ended yesterday--guess what I listened to earlier today?)

*Confession No.2 - I have forgotten how to use a computer. Four times (not once or twice) I have replied to recent emails and replied to everyone on the blasted list. Two of these were missionary emails so a ton of people that I don't know got my "just wanted to say hi, etc, etc." Worse, last school year, one of my coworkers set me up with her son (she had China patterns picked out before we'd even met). We only went out once before he went back up to BYU-Idaho. Randomly, he sent me a forward a couple weeks ago with a second email that was actually directed to me. I just clicked on one of the emails and wrote him back - no, no, I emailed everyone back the "it's been a long time. How are you? How's school..." Are you kidding me? How did I make that mistake again?! He and all of his email list now know that I'm doing well. They know too that I saw his mom in May, that his sister and I still keep in contact and...good grief. So sorry, ps. and by the way, if you were on one of those unfortunate lists.

*Odd confession - I have managed to make myself sick - literally. I have been reading a book on healthy food choices (so much more to the book, but I'll write about it later) and pondering the inadequacies of what I put in my mouth (hello? have you read the ingredient list on a can of one of my many bubbled drinks?) Couple those thoughts with a few new-found stresses related to work, church, and just life in general - and you have physically ill. I didn't know I was so powerful. Now if only I could channel that power into finding a decent political candidate? [Wait - was that out loud? Dare I comment on politics to such a diverse group? I don't really dare right now - just saying my vote this year could be write-in for Dwight Shrute. Okay, not literally, but it sounds much more rewarding than the current choices.]

*Final confession - I love Gilmore Girls. Why is that a confession? Because most people just enjoy the show. I actually dream of living there with the characters. On more than one occasion, I have woken up feeling like I have just strolled the streets of Stars Hollow or gotten in a fight with Luke. Obsession? Madness? Admittedly, I am not much of a TV watcher anymore, but Gilmore Girls seasons are one of my vices. Ten minutes a day keeps the one-liners coming and the smiles about Rory's ability to pull a book out of any bag she's carrying, Lorelai's caffeine dependence, and Paris' and/or Luke's rants plastered on my face even during dismal bouts of traffic or excessively long homework assignments.

There you have it folks - a few of my confessions. Not quite as dark and juicy as you might have hoped, but watching "The Dark Knight" pales every dark thing within a thousand miles-- Catch ya later--

3 comments:

Katie said...

you're such a crative writer! Reading your blog is like sitting next to you on the couch and having an animated conversation! I love it and I love to hear your thoughts/obsessions, etc. Keep em comin'!

Anonymous said...

Ummm... so I actually had a dream that I was in Stars Hollow with Rory and Lorelai the other night. I can't really remember the details, but I'm pretty sure it involved eating chocolate chip pancakes at Luke's. And I woke up hungry. Although that part isn't that weird. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in the obsession. Still haven't finished Season 7 but I'll get there. :)

Julie said...

I really enjoy your blog! Have I told you that before? You are such a fun and interesting person AND a brilliant writer. I need to read more books..I'll check out your suggestions. Can't wait to see you in August.