Sunday, July 27, 2008

Love, Love, Love

Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my! No, Dorothy - it's not cool to name my moods. The late summer blues (ie the realization that I have to return to full-time work in a few weeks), some undefined illness, and a resurgence of neck/back issues have left me, shall we say, less than blissful this past week. I've spent more hours than I care to admit lying in bed loathing the muscles that run along my shoulder blades, dreading the approach of department meetings, and wondering what it's like to take a deep breath. Today, I decided enough was enough. So what if I'm sick? So what if I can't move with ease? And so what if it's July 31st? Can't change any of the above - but I can change my attitude. So, here are things that have helped brighten a few rough days-

I love---
*that Hillary Collette was in town for almost two weeks. Everything seems better when she is near. Being around her is like being in a Disney movie - the flowers could start singing and the animals might help dress the baby because Hill is so kind and so optimistic.
*flying kites. I went with friends to Berkeley's Annual Kite Flying Festival this past Saturday. Hundreds of kites dotted the sky with the panorama of Berkeley on one side and the Golden Gate on the other. I love the Bay Area - so many cool things in one place.
*sewing with Jewels. No, I did not make that up. I do possess patience to sew when Jewels is there to guide me. We finished my fall quilt today. It's the first quit attempt since Mrs. Seidell's sewing class in high school. I am loving the final product! [Nanners - you are saint to have spent so much time with me. I really wasn't stressed with you there - you must have magical powers!]
*rediscovering "Alias" with my mom and Jenessa. Sydney Bristow rocks - no other way to put it.
*the power of movies and books to transport you to another world. This week (keep in mind, I've been sick and had orders from doctors to keep my neck and back still) I've cooked in Barbara Kingsolver's kitchen, fallen in love with Noah Calhoun, rooted for Julie over Meredith, been mystified by Eisenheim's illusions, and wished Will would get up the nerve to tell Syd that he loves her.
*people's comments on my last blog. Odd thing to love, but I had forgotten about some of the things people said. Fun to remember.
*fresh produce from the farmers' market. This past Saturday's purchases include Shady Lady tomatoes, green bell peppers, green onions (extra love here), Neptune peaches, and kettlecorn.
*General Conference. No, my pain pills have not dulled my senses completely. I know it's been months since the last conference. I set the goal to finish the May Ensign this summer and thoroughly enjoyed going over the talks again. I learned things I didn't even notice when I was listening in April. We are truly blessed to be led by men and women that are so in tune with God's will. I hope to follow their examples more closely with each passing day.
*that Baby Mae is almost here. That little one has no idea how much she is already loved - she might be a little too loved. We'll have to dial it down a bit (at least in public).

Basically, I love lots of things. Not really lions, tigers, bears, and those freaky black squirrels that live in Jewels' apartment complex, but lots of other things. Mine is a life truly blessed.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Here's another thing to add to our Venn Diagram. I similarly am in love with Sydney Bristow. Rockstar.

forget laundry said...

that was cute of you. thanks jaclyn. I agree- when we get to be together, the world really is a better place. I am so sorry your back is bugging you... maybe the same birds that wrap ellie can fly around lark lane beckoning to your every wish while you read captivating novels and just relax. I'll send them your way.

christina clark said...

Okay, recently I have started watching Alias too, though I have only watched a few, it is evident Sydney Bristow is the girl Jack Bauer and I love it.

Melissa said...

Fun post! I would love to see your quilt. You'll have to post a photo when you're done. I'm jealous you get to go to a "real" farmer's market. I miss that here.