Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Love-Hate

Our morning newspaper has a section every week dedicated to things that people love and things that people hate. It's thoroughly entertaining to see the little things that make people happy and even more entertaining to see the little things that make people go a bit nuts. Here are a few of my loves and hates. Some tie into just this past week and some speak to larger issues that seem to never go away...

I love (in no particular order)--
-Vanity Fair's recent photo shoot of young Hollywood stars in classic Depression era movies

-Mae's emerging spunk, Mae's top two teeth when she smiles, Mae's teetering steps (are we sensing a theme?!)

-fruit snacks (weirdly obsessed with all things in this genre of food (if you can call a chewy assortment of fruity chemicals food))

-Michael J. Fox (his memoirs, his foundation dedicated to finding a cure to Parkinson's, and his love for his family)
-my summer projects (decorating Container Store boxes, organizing photos, etc)

-reading "Freakonomics" ( a whole book dedicated to exploring random things like why drug dealers live with their mother and why naming your daughter Destiny is a bad idea--brilliant stuff)

-all things Harry Potter (cannot get enough of the magic, Jo Rowling, and the vicarious British existence)
-Jewels' smile when she watches Mae

-measuring things by exclamation points (Jenessa and I have taken to describing things by how many exclamation points it would earn even if our voice inflection doesn't change. Don't worry Hill-we don't write out the extra points in real sentences.)

-Kris Allen (We went to the American Idol concert this past Saturday-- so much fun, so many talented performers. Kris is perfectly delectable.)


I hate (in no particular order)--
-my recent anxiety over aging and death

-unpredictable heat (I know it's been unseasonably cool this summer, but please-- 78 degrees one day and 102 the next. We don't all need to feel like we're having hot flashes just because Mother Earth is having them.)

-cancer

-that Heath Ledger died young
-the idea of selling out (Is leaving teaching, even for a short time, a form of selling out? It makes me crazy thinking about this concept.)

-being lost in an emotional fog (Cuckoo's Nest fog meets my bizarre compartmentalized self)

-reacting in an affirming way to inappropriate things

-16-year-olds projecting themselves as objects to be used and not even realizing that they're doing it

-16-year-olds projecting themselves as objects to be used and very aware that that they're doing it

-indeterminate injury recovery periods (doctors go to school for years and years, and I'm the one doing the dianosis- are you kidding me?)


I love (just because you can't end on a negative and still in no particular order)-
-"Glee" (This show is going to be fantastic-- It's quirky. It's real. And people burst into song. How could it not be great?)

-the conversations Mae has with her little self

-seeing people happy

-you

5 comments:

Megan said...

I love:
you.
I hate:
that this post didn't go on forever. I wish it would.

Lauren said...

Funny that I too have a Mae-love theme. That sweet little laugh, those high pitched shrieks, and the chunky little legs, what's not to love? And the conversations with herself and two top teeth are worthy of a national holiday. On a separate note, I think your blogs should be mandatory reading for the world.

Jenessa Hutchins said...

loves
-the smell of tahoe
-belting wicked in the car with you
-how you slyly deceive everyone about our mcdonalds outings!

hates
-you moving to utah...though i am glad jewels is happy
-that i don't comment on your blog enough
-the idea of summer ending

to end with loves
-sisters! (you better love the cheese)

Christy said...

I LOVE Glee too. I can't wait until the season start-I can't stand being taunted by all the funny commercials for the season. I hate cancer too-even just the threat has been hard to deal with.

Marvia said...

love you jaclyn