Monday, January 21, 2013

Gone Girl


Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I hesitated to review this book because I was so blown away by it. Even now, six weeks later, I can’t tell you if I loved it or if I hated it. Either way, I was compelled forward, almost against my will, to finish it. Flynn creates loathsome characters, but they are so vivid that you almost feel that you are sitting there listening to them speak. Her characters’ voices are distinctive, clever, and alarming in a way that I have not experienced before.  Perhaps the topic of a broken marriages, manipulation, murder, and betrayal are not for me, but I am glad to know for myself what the hype is about Gone Girl.

Like I said, I’m not sure if I loved it or hated it, but the writing is masterful. This book, however, is not for the faint of heart. The characters are vulgar, profane, and absolutely hateful. The plot twists, while occasionally genius, are disturbing, so it’s totally your call if you have the stomach for it.

Ps. The detail of Amy’s parents basing a whole book series on her was fantastic. Loved it.

No comments: