Saturday, January 11, 2014

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and GraceAn Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Just the title of this book is delectable - Adler's writing is exquisite. She brings tastes and smells to life as she writes about not only the art of cooking the perfect egg, but how to then use that egg (or chicken or onion or pepper) in a dozen different ways. I sat on the beach in Hawaii reading this and absolutely itching to get into a kitchen to put Adler's theories into practice. The reason this book is a four and not a five is that it's not a perfect vehicle for teaching cooking principles - meaning there are no pictures and there are some overly generalized lessons that an unskilled cook like myself will not be able to navigate very well. This book though will sit in my kitchen forever and as I have ten minutes to wait for water to boil or cookies to bake, I will read and reread it trying to find ways to be a bit more economical and a bit more graceful, in and out of the kitchen. Happy reading and happy eating!

No comments: