Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Round 6, 7, & 8

A Midsummer Night's DreamA Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Teaching Midsummer this year was so much fun. Three more times through the play and I was left entranced by whether it matters that the lovers do not know if they were dreaming. I also thought a lot about why "Dead Poets Society" choose Midsummer as the play that Neil acts in. They only show us two sets of Midsummer lines - one where Puck, played by Neil, identifies himself as the mischief maker, the sprite that everyone talks about and the final speech delivered to the audience where Puck says that he will amends for anyone who might be offended. I never appreciated before how well chosen those lines are for both Midsummer and for Neil's character. I love the way that art compliments art. Shakespeare seems to apply everywhere.

No comments: