Friday, March 18, 2016

The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth TaleThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As my friend Alicia said, The Thirteenth Tale is a love letter to people who love books and writing. The plot is buried in so many details and layers that I think some people get lost and stop caring about the story Setterfield is trying to tell. I love it though. I love the mystery shrouded in love and loss and fear. The sentences are so well crafted and the words so well chosen. The word delicious kept coming to mind as I was reading - the taste of writing so eloquent and beautiful that I wanted to share line after line with someone. Setterfield's depth left me feeling like I was curled up in a window seat of a fine English manor watching the snow swirl over the moors. The only thing missing was Heathcliff or Elizabeth Bennett coming through the mist.

As always, happy reading!
[A picture in front of one of the most impressive gothic manors I've visited in England. Hello Vida Winter, and of course, hello Crawley family.]

No comments: