Monday, August 8, 2016

Why Not Me?

Why Not Me?Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was on a roll after "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" and just wanted to keep listening. Kaling really is clever and hand working and candid about who she is. She acknowledges flaws and inconsistencies and tells great stories. There are a few rambling moments in her writing, but I love that she loves her family, that she would rather stay home than party, and that she has strong personal convictions. She's a good role model for teenage girls, who I think are always lingering in the back of my mind when I read memoirs. Kaling does ramble a bit in the latter third of the book, but I still would recommend it as a good audibook.

My favorite part of her book was her shout out to her best friend, BJ Novak. She describes their friendship and working relationship so well and in a completely original way. It helps that I love Novak's writing and work, but definitely entertaining.

Happy reading--

ps. I never would have guessed that Kaling had interacted with President Obama on separate occasions. Fun to read about that too.


No comments: