Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Looking for Alaska

Looking for AlaskaLooking for Alaska by John Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I need you to know that I love John Green. I love him for his wit, his candor, and his ability to portray teenagers so brilliantly. I love his one-liners and the way he mixes tragedy and comedy so smoothly that you miss where one emotion ends and another begins. But I did not love this John Green book. Perhaps it's because I didn't read it a decade ago. Perhaps it's because I already knew what was coming in the book (student book report spoilers from nearly a decade ago). Or perhaps it was all the smoking (I really hate when teenagers smoke in real life...so maybe I just couldn't get past it??). Either way, there were moments where Green held my attention and others where I put my audiobook on a faster reading speed so the book would be over sooner.

I'd still recommend the book. As I said, I love John Green, but if you're only going to read one of Green's novels, The Fault in Our Stars is by far my favorite.

Happy reading--

No comments: