Sunday, September 10, 2017

Brown Girl Dreaming

Brown Girl DreamingBrown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Woodson's writing is lovely. The childhood images she invokes are profound and still so simple. Stories written as a series of poems are great because they pare down the extraneous details, so that you don't get lost in side stories.

I loved seeing a glimpse into Woodson's memories. I could taste the arroz con pollo and see the fireflies on a summer night. I loved how she captured her desire to write and how she came to find her voice in a changing world. Plus, how can I not love another Jacqueline who didn't want to be called Jackie.

It may be out of your usual genres for reading, but give it a whirl. Happy reading-

ps. I am really torn between a 4 and a 5. The first half, I was enjoying it, but the second half was so, so good. So Goodreads, please help out your readers, so I can give half stars.

No comments: