Saturday, December 9, 2017

Leap Year

Leap YearLeap Year by Helen Russell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dear Helen-

I can't say that your book is life changing the way that Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project or Brene Brown's The Gifts of Imperfection were. But I still thoroughly enjoyed your ups and downs as you attempted to figure out how to get more comfortable with life and change. I identify so strongly with some of your challenges that the fact that you added wit and humor to them made me feel better about the world. Your way of describing things is so clever and at times, hilarious, that I couldn't help wishing I was one of your friends and you had given me a not-so-subtle moniker. Perhaps I could be something the "American who wishes she was a Brit"...I'll let you decide when somehow we stumble across each other's paths someday. A girl can dream--

Love,
Jaclyn

ps. Your audiobook reader is everything. She helps make the book.
pps. Am I allowed to say that your original title "The Year of Living Danishly" would have been closer to a five star read, but lost points for the weirdly candid details on Danish sex lives, and this one would probably be more of a 3.5, but I was so happy to listen more of your anecdotes that it gets a four? You won't read this for real, so I'm going to assume yes. Thanks for understanding.

[This book, for the record, is not to be confused at all with that less-than-great Amy Adams movie. Just FYI. :) Happy reading--]

No comments: