Monday, July 22, 2019

Ready Player One

Ready Player OneReady Player One by Ernest Cline
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't think that I am the target audience for this book despite being a child of the 80s. My parents didn't allow us to have video games and the computer games I was allowed to own were limited to typing games (as in “learn how to type” practice drills), geography practice games, and Oregon Trail. This means that so many of the references Cline painstakingly included weren't all that meaningful, though the kids in Stranger Things do play a bunch of the games referenced. However, like Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, I felt that same ominous warning about the dangers of immersing ourselves in technology.

Cline’s story is clever and well told, albeit a little too detailed in some areas. This reading experience was completely unique.

Happy reading and happy tech-free living (I see the irony as I’m typing those very words).

(Book 72 - 2019)


No comments: