Monday, September 30, 2019

All the Bad Apples

All the Bad ApplesAll the Bad Apples by Moïra Fowley-Doyle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Honestly I read this book because of its cover, its title, and because none of my holds were available from the library. Plus the narrator is Irish. This book is a strange blend of magical realism and political activism alongside hundreds of year of fictional history being told to modern day characters trying to sort out where a girl has disappeared to. Sometimes I had no idea where this book was trying to go, but there was clever twist after twist to keep you engaged. The political views were a bit layered in a bit too strongly. I prefer to have the story speak for itself, but the author couldn't resist giving voice to her feelings through her characters over and over again. That said Fowley-Doyle's author's note at the end if very compelling, and I still really adored the main character Deena and her best friend Finn.

Happy reading and stay away from the banshees-

(Book 93 - 2019)

ps. Probably a 3.5, but as you know - no half stars.

No comments: