Thursday, September 12, 2019

With the Fire on High

With the Fire on HighWith the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love books that give voice to characters rarely seen in fiction. Emoni Santiago is not your typical teenage protagonist, and she comes to life in a blur of spices, burdens to heavy for her young age, and high school swagger. True to most young adult fiction, the plot lines are pretty straightforward, but they are not tired. Acevedo tells her story well, and we root for Emoni, her abuela, and the whole culinary arts class all the way through.

Happy reading and happy cooking. Acevedo's descriptions of food have made me want to go cook something delicious--

ps. This book has has a similar feel to "I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter" by Erika L. Sanchez. I like "With the Fire" a bit more because the main premise of "Daughter" was less relatable and/or believable. Both are well written though.

(Book 87 - 2019)

No comments: