Saturday, October 5, 2019

Circe

CirceCirce by Madeline Miller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't think I ever would have found this book on my own, but it kept showing up in friends' reviews and Anne Bogel of The Modern Mrs. Darcy mentioned it a couple times on her "What Should I Read Next" podcast.

Miller manages to focus on Circe as entirely her own story instead of just being a fixture of Odysseus' journey. To be honest, I have forgotten so many of the Greek myths since I haven't studied or taught them in ages, so many of the details were brand new to me. The writing is exquisite and Miller's ability to make Circe a relatable character surprised me over and over again. Circe's motivations, especially as a mother, are so compelling. Plus Greek myths are great stories to begin with....and occasionally when I hear Greek names referenced, the soundtrack to Hercules begins to play in my head. Who doesn't want that?

Happy reading and good luck staying out the way of the gods--

(Book 95 - 2019)

No comments: